ANTONI PINENT (Lleida, Spain, 1975)
Independent Curator of Contemporary Art; Independent Researcher;
Experimental Filmmaker & FilmArtist; Film Editor; Guest Professor at several Universities, Museums, Art Centers, Film Festivals, Cinémathèques & Film Schools.
He received the Biennale Award from Museum of Contemporary Cinema (MoCC. New York / Paris / Madrid) in 2008.
– Selected –
· Co-curator and freelance researcher for a commission film program (30 sessions), inside a film curator team, called “Latin American Experimental Media” to Pacific Standard Time: L.A./ L.A., Filmforum Sept. 2017 – January 2018 in Los Angeles, as a film program with a raisonné publication English-Spanish edited by University of California Press. This project received a grant from ‘Getty Foundation’ (2014 / 2016), ‘The Andy Warhol Foundation for Visual Arts’ (2015), and ‘Mike Kelley Foundation’ (2015). http://www.lafilmforum.org/ismo-ismo-ismo/
· Freelance Film Curator and Programmer for the Cine Invisible section at the Xcèntric. The CCCB’s Cinema (CCCB. Centre de Cultura Contemporánia de Barcelona) 2004–2009. http://xcentric.cccb.org/en
· Founder and Co-director of the Moving Images Biennale Xperimenta: Contemporary Glances at Experimental Cinema (Editions, 2007, 2009 and 2011. Produced by CCCB. Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona). http://www.cccb.org/xcentric/en/xperimenta
· Curator of CINE A CONTRACORRIENTE: LATINOAMÉRICA Y ESPAÑA. International touring cinema program (6 sessions), dvd-catalogue CINE A CONTRACORRIENTE A Journey Through the Other Latin American edited by CAMEO. Produced by: SEACEX – CCCB, 2010 -2013. Itinerancy of this exhibition program was over 15 countries: www.accioncultural.es/es/cine_contracorriente
· Curator of DEL ÉXTASIS AL ARREBATO (FROM ECSTASY TO RAPTURE) 50 Years of the other Spanish Cinema. International touring cinema program (6 sessions), DVD-catalogue DEL ÉXTASIS AL ARREBATO. A Journey Through Spanish Experimental Cinema edited by CAMEO. Produced by SEACEX – Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB), 2009 – 2012. https://www.accioncultural.es/en/from_ecstasy_to_rapture_50_years_of_alternative_spanish_film
· Co-curated with Andrés Hispano the Contemporary Art Exhibition “THAT’S NOT ENTERTAINMENT! Cinema Begets Cinema” (2006-2007. CCCB / Centro Párraga, Murcia / Bancaja, Valencia). http://www.cccb.org/en/exhibitions/file/thats-not-entertainment/10490
· Co-creator of Xcèntric Archive for Center for the Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB). December 2006. http://xcentric.cccb.org/en/arxiu
· Co-founder and editorial member of the magazine Cabeza Borradora (Madrid, 2001-2004), interviews / conversations with Michael Snow (nº 0), Joseph Morder (nº1), Jonas Mekas (nº 2).
– Selected –
First solo exhibition in Venezia, Italy (Oct. 2018 – Jan. 2019). ‘CELLULOID ART ECHOES’ .
His previous films were ‘G/R/E/A/S/E’ (2008-2013), ‘GIOCONDA / FILM‘ (1999), ‘FILM QUARTET / POLYFRAME‘ (2006-2008), ‘KINOSTURM KUBELKA / 16 variaciones’, ‘Música visual en vertical’, among others.
His films have been exhibited in several countries including: France, United Kingdom, Italy, Portugal, United States, Ireland, Argentina, Germany, Romania, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Australia, Czech Republic, Poland, Senegal, Denmark, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chili, Uruguay, Belgium, Switzerland or Spain.
Retrospectives [film solo screenings]: [selected]
· Vartex # 6. Festival de Vídeo y Experimental (Medellín, Colombia. May 2018).
· BLITZ # 6. Zumzeig / Laboratorio Reversible (Barcelona, Spain. Dec. 2017). Celebrating his 25th Anniversary as Filmmaker.
· 27th Mostra INVIDEO (Milan, Italy. Nov. 2017). 25th Anniv. as Filmmaker.
· 4th Festival de Cine Radical (La Paz, Bolivia. Sept. 2017). 25th Anniv. as Filmmaker.
· 1st MUTA. Muestra Internacional de Apropiación Audiovisual (Lima, Peru. July 2017). 25th Anniv. as Filmmaker.
· 1st DOBRA. Fest. International de Cinema Experimental (Rio do Janeiro, Brazil. Sept. 2015)
· MUSAC [Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Castilla y León] (León, Spain. Jan. 2014)
· Bienal de la Imagen en Movimiento (BIM) (Buenos Aires, Argentina), Oct. – Nov.2012.
· La Enana Marrón (Madrid, Spain), April 2010 and Dec. 2002.
· VisualSound Festival (Verdi Park Cinema) (Barcelona, Spain), December 2003.
His work is being distributed by the international companies, available in 35mm and video:
· Canyon Cinema (San Francisco, USA) www.canyoncinema.com
· Light Cone (Paris, France) https://lightcone.org/en/filmmaker-1439-antoni-pinent
· CFMDC Canadian Filmmakers Distribution Centre (Toronto, Canada) www.cfmdc.org
· Hamaca (Barcelona, Spain) www.hamacaonline.net
– Selected –
· CISA, Locarno-Lugano, Switzerland. Opening and Ending Titles. Cinema & TV. Story and Theory. Nov. 2017.
· IUAV, Venice, Italy. Cinema and Future. Invited by Antoni Muntadas. Nov. 2017 / Nov. 2016.
· IED. Istituto Europeo Dessign, Milan, Italy. Scolpire la LUCE. Introduzione al cinema sensa cinepresa. Invited by INVIDEO. Nov. 2017.
· CalArts, Los Angeles, CA, USA. LatinAmerica Cameraless Film Work. Invited by Los Angeles Film Forum. Ism, Ism, Ism project. Oct. 2017.
· Pitzer College, Claremont CA, USA. Oct. 2017.
· Festival de Cine Radical / Cinemateca Boliviana, La Paz, Bolivia. Sculpting the LIGHT. Introduction to the Cameraless FilmWork. Sept. 2017.
· MUTA / Centro Cultural España, Lima, Peru. Sculpting the LIGHT. Introduction to the Cameraless FilmWork. July 2017.
· Centro Cultural de España, Montevideo, Uruguay. Ways of Curating the Moving Images. August 2016.
· Experiments in Cinema, Albuquerque, New Mexico, EUA. Sculpting the LIGHT. Introduction to the Cameraless FilmWork. 2014.
· BAU. Centre Universitari de Disseny, Barcelona, Spain. Guest Professor. Master Stop Motion. Since 2014 until now, editions 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018.
· BIM. Moving Image Biennial, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Sculpting the LIGHT. Introduction to the Cameraless FilmWork. 2012.
· UPV. University, Valencia, Spain. Sculpting the LIGHT. Introduction to the Cameraless FilmWork. 2008.
· Award 2nd Biennial Museum of Contemporary Cinema Foundation (MoCC
Foundation. New York / Paris / Madrid. 2008)
· CCCB – Xcèntric. Film Curating Team. FAD Medal (Fostering Arts and Design).
Barcelona, Spain, 2009.
· Grant / Scholarship “Art and Research. Montehermoso 2011”, from Centro
Montehermoso and the Vitoria’s County, Spain, 2011.
· Award LLEIDA VISUAL ART. First Edition, Lleida, Spain, 2014.
· Has been selected for the prestigious International Film Curator in Residence from
Len Lye Centre. (New Zealand, Oct. / Nov. 2019.) http://www.govettbrewster.com/about/residencies